LTC James "Jim" H. Brown was a VHPA member who died after his tour in Vietnam on 01/07/2003 at the age of 66.7 from Cancer
Port Angeles, WA
Flight Classes 61-8 and 66-QC
Date of Birth 05/05/1936
Served in the U.S. Army
Served in Vietnam with 1 AVN CO in 62-63, E/82 ART 1 CAV in 67-68
This information was provided by Jim (Jb) Brown III, son

More detail on this person: The army did an unbelievable job honoring one of their own. We couldn't have asked for a more fitting service for Dad. The outpouring from the local community has been incredible as well. There were well over 100 folks there. They also knew what a special person he was. I've copied Dad's obituary which appeared in the Port Angeles paper on the 10th of January. It's kind of light on his accomplishments, but that's how he would have wanted it to be. As you know, he was not big on folks that blew their own horn.

From: Jim (Jb) Brown III

James Harvey Brown Jr. (May 5, 1936 - January 7, 2003) died peacefully in his home on January 7, 2003, at the age of 66, with his wife of 45 years and eldest son at his side. Born May 5, 1936, to Judge James Harvey Brown and Ruth Hopkins Brown in Los Angeles, Calif., Jim graduated from Hollywood High School in 1954, serving twice as class president.

Upon graduating from high school he attended Stanford University and was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He enlisted in the Army in 1958 and graduated from Officer Candidate School in 1959.

He earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Troy State University and a Master of Science degree in Aeronautical Engineering from Georgia Tech.

Jim served over 20 years in the Army as an artillery and aviation officer, including two tours in Southeast Asia. He retired from the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1979.

His last military assignment was as the program manager for the XV-15 Tilt Rotor NASA/Army program at Moffett Naval Air Station, California. Upon retirement from the Army, Jim worked for General Electric in Los Angeles.

He and his family then moved to Mesa, Arizona, where he worked for McDonnell-Douglas Helicopter Company. In 1990 he moved to Port Angeles to become Vice President of Business Development of Rogerson Hiller Corporation. Jim also worked for Magna Force as Sales Manager and served five years on the United Way Board of Directors in Port Angeles.

Jim and Bev loved to travel, and Jim could be found either on the golf course or at the helm of their boat, The Happy Ours.

Jim adored to be surrounded by his grandchildren, and when he couldn't be with them he spent long hours on the computer downloading pictures from them. They, in turn, absolutely love their ``Gramps'' and will miss him dearly.

His wife Beverly; sons James III, Michael, and David; sister Dorothy O'Leary; daughters-in-law Colleen and Jeanna; and grandchildren Nicholas, Jaycie and Mandy survive him. Jim leaves behind an enormous and supportive group of dear friends and extended family.

Jim fought a courageous battle against cancer, and his family would like to thank Dr. Robert Witham for his overwhelming support and care.

We would also like to extend our deepest appreciation to Hospice of Clallam County, and in lieu of flowers, remembrances can be made to Hospice of Clallam

County, P.O. Box 2014, Port Angeles, WA 98362.

A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m., January 13, 2003, at Ocean View Cemetery in Port Angeles.

To the Brown Family.... I certainly am saddened to hear of Jim's death. He and I had a special bond, as friends and pilots in the early days of our Army Aviation careers.

Jim came to the 1st Aviation Company at Ft Benning, GA soon after flight training and Caribou transition. In May '62, he and I went to the DeHavilland of Canada factory at Downsview Air Base, Toronto, and "signed-for" a new AC-1A Caribou, #61-2392, and flew it back to Ft Benning.

On 1 June '62, we, in '392, took-off for our 3-week trip to Korat RTAF, Thialand. The story is in "The Aerie", below. What a journey, I only had about 150 hours in the Caribou and Jim had less than 50, when we left. We added another 88 hours enroute to SE Asia, starting a very exciting year there.

Two years ago, I found Caribou #61-2392 at Lakehurst NAS, NJ and was able to sit in the left seat again after 38 years. I did think of Jim then, flying next to me again.

The last tme I saw Jim was at an aviation conference in Williamsburg, VA, after he had retired. We have exchanged many e-mail thoughts during the past several years, but he never mentioned his illness, so this news came as a shock.

I will notify the Otter-Caribou Association and the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association, if you will please send me a copy of Jim's obituary.

Our thoughts are with you at this time.

From: Don and Helen Joyce

This information was last updated 05/18/2016

Please send additions or corrections to: VHPA Headquarters

Return to the Helicopter Pilot DAT name list

Return to VHPA web site

Date posted on this site: 06/15/2024

Copyright © 1998 - 2024 Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association