Helicopter UH-1H 67-17784

Information on U.S. Army helicopter UH-1H tail number 67-17784
The Army purchased this helicopter 0968
Total flight hours at this point: 00000206
Date: 11/27/1968
Incident number: 68112700.TXT
Unit: 187 AHC
This was a Combat incident. This helicopter was LOSS TO INVENTORY
for Air/land Assault , Hot Area.
While on Landing Zone this helicopter was Landing at UNK feet and UNK knots.
South Vietnam
UTM grid coordinates: XT310419 (To see this location on a map, go to https://legallandconverter.com/p50.html and search on Grid Reference 48PXT310419)
Helicopter took 1 hits from:
Explosive Weapon; Non-Artillery launched or static weapons containing explosive charges.
causing a Blast.
Casualties = 01 DOI, 03 INJ . . Number killed in accident = 0 . . Injured = 0 . . Passengers = 0
The helicopter Crashed. Aircraft Destroyed.
Both mission and flight capability were terminated.
costing 0
Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated: Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Survivability/Vulnerability Information Analysis Center Helicopter database. Also: OPERA, LNNF, GOLDBOOK, Pienta "I Was There" SOF Jan 95 (Operations Report. Lindenmuth New Format Data Base. )
Summary: Hit by an RPG while landing in a hot LZ
Loss to Inventory

Crew Members:

War Story:
Everybody that I talked to who participated in the events of November 27, 1968 has their own version. Some are much more amazing than mine. Here's mine: November 27, 1968. It was the day before Thanksgiving. On that day I flew 15 hours and 45 minutes. It was my first day being checked out as the fire-team leader for the Rat Pack, our gun platoon for the 187th Assault Helicopter Company based in Tay Ninh, Vietnam. As fire-team leader flying a C-model gunship, I lead our flight of nine slicks with troops on board into the landing zone. I was approximately a half a mile in front of the flight trailing smoke grenades to mark the flight's touchdown position. After my crew tossed the smokes, I made a hard break to the left to take up my racetrack position with the other two gun ships. We would provide suppressive fire during the flight's landing and debarking that would take place. I can't remember if the landing zone was prepped with artillery before I lead the flight in. Regardless, I was about a quarter mile in front of the flight out on my approach. I received no fire. I turned the aircraft over to my co-pilot/AC Jimmy Souders to get prepared for our first rocket run. I had only been in the gun platoon for a few weeks and my attention was out my right door watching the flight and in particular the last grouping of aircraft. It was the 1st platoon. I had been their section leader then platoon leader for the last seven months. We were all very close and, as a flight, moved like one. Bob Trezona was the aircraft commander on the trail ship and I was watching him in particular. He was training a new lieutenant, Tom Pienta, in formation flight. They were not as close to the formation as I thought they should have been. They were a little behind and in a vulnerable position. As the flight was on short final, all hell broke loose. The LZ was hot with automatic and machine gun fire. Just as my co-pilot was ready to nose over and start his rocket run, the radios were alive with formation pilots calling "receiving fire." It was from all directions. Approximately 100 feet off the ground, "trail" was hit with and RPG (rocket propelled grenade) in the fuel cell. I saw the aircraft one second, and then instantaneously I saw an orange ball of flame. They were completely engulfed and falling out of the sky. We had been looking for COSVIN headquarters for months and it appeared that we had just landed right in the middle of it. Whether it was or wasn't, at a minimum, is was a trap set up by a Chu Hoi. Both pilots and gunner were recovered by my flight school partner, WO1 Ron Timberlake. The CE Sp4 James Brady, was killed in the explosion. Timberlake received the Silver Star for his heroism and was shot down on the emergency rescue and take-off but landed in a field far enough away from the action for others to complete the recovery action. Trezona and Pienta's day was over; my day and the rest of the flight crews had just begun. For the rest of the day we continued to provide covering fire for additional troop landings and suppressive fire for the troops already on the ground. Late in the evening one of our ships was loaded with thirty parachute flares to provide night illumination. Due to combat injuries, the unit was short crews and the flare ship co-pilot, Lt August Ritzau just returned to flight after being treated for shrapnel wound to the hand. As I was taking off from refueling and rearming, I heard a desperation call from the flareship. A flare had gone off at the bottom of the stack. At two million candle power each, it is completely impossible to see or fly if a flare is ignited inside the aircraft. The pilot WO1 Allen Duneman was screaming over the radio for help...flight direction, altitude, air speed or anything that could be of help. There was nothing anyone could do. I remember someone talking to him, probably our CO Maj Gaffney. The other flares started going off. I could see the glow, like a shooting star from fifteen clicks away. They impacted at a 45 degree angle killing all aboard. The radio silence afterward was almost surreal. Everyone was in shock. Life as we knew it was sucked out of all of us that day. By midnight, the beginning of Thanksgiving, I had gone through three aircraft and two co-pilots. Virtually every ship in the unit was damaged or flown beyond limits. Six crew members were killed many wounded. Our company commander lost the effectiveness of his aviation unit. There were only three aircraft certified flyable for the next day, not to mention crew availability. Nobody said, but so many had that "thousand mile stare" the next day that I know many were still in shock. The infantry unit we inserted was decimated. They sustained 27 KIA and over 50 wounded. All day we flew cover for our own aircraft providing insertions and medical extractions as Medevac would not land to a hot LZ. Maj Gaffney, Ron Timberlake and I with a few others (don't remember who) took one of the remaining helicopters to fly to Saigon on Thanksgiving to check on the two burned pilots and gunner. By the time I got there, their swelling had already started. Each were three times or more their normal size. Both pilots had 3rd degree burns over 50+% of their bodies. The swelling was so severe that their throats were beginning to close. The nurse didn't expect them to live though they both did, each tremendously scarred both physically and emotionally. Their unique story, written by Tom Pienta is available on the 187th website http://187thahc.org/ under Crusader Down. This was the feature article and cover story in the December 96 issue of Vietnam Magazine. The cover photo for the magazine and pictured at the 187th website was done by Joe Kline. I purchased the original oil painting from him and have it hanging at the house. Depending on whether or not the Mineral Wells museum ever gets built it will probably be donated to them. If not, it will eventually end up at the Vietnam museum at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX. Everybody that I knew, some that I loved, most that I had personally trained were either wounded or killed that day. And though I flew all day long, covered virtually every insertion, extraction, and medical recovery my aircraft was never hit by hostile fire. I remember Frank Cozart's (DAT) slick had 118 hits after the first insertion. The enemy was so heavily fortified (bunkered-in,) we never actually saw one enemy in the open. It still frustrates John Broome, my crew chief, to this day. It was one of the most helpless and frustrating feelings one can have to be so incapable of assisting while watching friends and troops die or get wounded. Thanksgiving Day has never been the same for me. This year was particularly bad as the day and date coincided with 1968. ...................................................... Jim Ray, Asa Vest and I got together at the San Jose reunion and we rehashed the whole day. It was amazing. There were three completely different stories. All of us flying on the same gun team and though similar, our visions as to what happened and what we were thinking was like reading three different novels. It would be interesting if those two, Vince Tortalono, Jimmy Souders, and Ronnie Hopkins (the rest of the gun team pilots) would do their own version of that day. For that matter, anyone who flew that day should contribute. I'd like to see a historical compendium. It would make a great albeit depressing book. from Pat Dougan Tom Pienta has written a detailed account of his tour in Vietnam which ended because of the extensive burns he received in this event. Tom's account was published several times, most noticeable in the December, 1996 issue of Vietnam Magazine. Joe Kline painted the art work for the cover of that issue. Briefly, while CAing troops from A/4/9th Infantry, 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division in an LZ about 15 miles southeast of Tay Ninh, this aircraft was hit by an RPG virtually on its fuel system as it flared to touch down. The blast and explosion killed the CE immediately and both pilots were badly burned before they could exit the wreckage. Photos of the wreckage taken the next day show that only parts of the tail boom remained after the fire went out. This helicopter served with 3 units as follows: during 6809 flew 0 hours enroute overseas, during 6810 flew 95 hours for 187th Avn (AHC) Co, and during 6811 flew 111 hours for 20th Trans (ADS) Co.

This record was last updated on 01/24/2003

This information is available on CD-ROM.

Additional information is available on KIAs at http://www.coffeltdatabase.org

Please send additions or corrections to: The VHPA Webmaster Gary Roush.

KIA statistics

Return to the KIA name list

Return to the KIA panel date index

Date posted on this site: 05/16/2021

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association