Helicopter AH-1G 67-15612

Information on U.S. Army helicopter AH-1G tail number 67-15612
The Army purchased this helicopter 0568
Total flight hours at this point: 00000947
Date: 04/23/1970 MIA-POW file reference number: 1603
Incident number: 70042310.KIA
Unit: F/8 CAV
This was a Combat Loss caused by unknown by Missing in Flight with the mission function of Armed Helicopter (having primary weapon subsystems installed and utilized to provide direct fire support)
This was a Combat incident. This helicopter was LOSS TO INVENTORY
for Close Air Support
Unknown this helicopter was Unknown at UNK feet and UNK knots.
South Vietnam
UTM grid coordinates: ZC113153 (To see this location on a map, go to https://legallandconverter.com/p50.html and search on Grid Reference 48PZC113153)
Small Arms/Automatic Weapons; Gun launched non-explosive ballistic projectiles less than 20 mm in size.
Systems damaged were: PERSONNEL
Casualties = 02 MIA . .
Unknown impact on flight.
Unknown as to mission impact.
Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated: Survivability/Vulnerability Information Analysis Center AVDAC database. Defense Intelligence Agency Reference Notes. Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Survivability/Vulnerability Information Analysis Center Helicopter database. Also: 1603, CRAFX, FM385 (Crash Facts Message. )
Loss to Inventory and Helicopter was not recovered

Crew Members:

REFNO Synopsis:
SYNOPSIS: On April 23, 1970, Capt. Larron D. Murphy, aircraft commander; and WO Dennis K. Eads, pilot; were flying an AH-1G (serial #67-15612) in the wingman position in a flight of four aircraft conducting an emergency night mission to extract a long-range reconnaissance patrol (LRRP). The aircraft crashed in the vicinity while en route to recover the patrol. The two UH-1H helicopters on the flight aborted the mission because of adverse weather conditions. However, the two AH-1G aircraft continued in order to provide fire support for the patrol to allow them to break contact with the enemy. The aircraft flew north until they were sighted by the patrol. The lead ship made several radio contacts with Capt. Murphy. The last transmission instructed him to turn to a heading of 90 degrees. About 30 seconds later, Capt. Murphy called, "20, this is 28. I'm crashing." This is the last contact or communication with Capt. Murphy. Members of the patrol reported that they had observed a very bright flash to the southwest, which was presumed to have been one of the aircraft. The remaining helicopter returned to Chu Lai, unable to search for the downed aircraft because of the inclement weather. The following morning, members of the patrol were flown to inspect the crash site where they conducted a detailed search of the area, but there was no trace of either the downed aircraft or the crew. The presumed site of the crash was about 10 miles southwest of the city of An Hoa in Quang Nam Province, South Vietnam.

War Story:
We never planned to extract because of the weather. We were just going to give the LRRPS cover fire. CPT Murphy went inadvertent IFR and crashed. I went back to Chu Lai. Bob Drury, Blue Ghost 20, July 1997.

This record was last updated on 03/03/2011

This information is available on CD-ROM.

Additional information is available on KIAs at http://www.coffeltdatabase.org

Please send additions or corrections to: The VHPA Webmaster Gary Roush.

KIA statistics

Return to the KIA name list

Return to the KIA panel date index

Date posted on this site: 11/13/2023

Copyright © 1998 - 2023 Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association